The home was built for the William Ridley Wills family in 1929, and it became the third governor's mansion when the state purchased it in 1949. Since that time, eight former governors and their families have resided in the home. The restoration and preservation, in 2003, is the first major restoration of the property since the home was built more than 70 years ago.
RD Herbert workers removed and replaced the old slate on the main residence and the carriage house with a new four-color blend in random widths. Several low slope areas received 20-oz copper flat lock or standing seam roofing in keeping with the historical aspects of the structure. All the accompanying flashings are 20-oz copper including the chimney, wall and valley flashings. The renovated built-in gutter and copper downspouts will patina into an aged green color, blending into the slate roof.